Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Advent Devotion for December 7th

Whom Shall I Fear?
Luke 1:47-55
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. – Luke 1:50 NIV

The man came to the church office with fear in his eyes and he wanted to see a pastor. As I led him into my office I did my normal safety checks with people coming off the street who I did not know.

As we sat down, knowing the gentleman was high on drugs, he began to tell me his story with tears rolling down his face. I realized that he was a man who was desperate for help from God. He admitted he was high and he was running on the wrong path to destruction. He was afraid of what was happening and he said that he just felt his truck pull into the church parking lot.

He realized that he only had one thing to fear and that was fear of the Lord. He knew that he had run from God for too many years and it was destroying his life. At that moment, the prodigal came to his senses and rededicated his life to Jesus Christ. At that moment, he realized the necessity of the fear of the Lord, not a scared fear, but a reverent and obedient fear.

At that moment, one man came home to his Lord whose mercy and grace extends to those who fear Him.

Prayer: O Lord, help us who follow you fear you out of reverence and obedience this day and throughout our lives. Amen.

Thought for the Day
Who is God going to place in my presence who needs to fear the Lord?

Prayer Focus: Those who need to meet the Savior and Lord

No comments: