Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Advent Devotional for November 30th First Sunday of Advent

He Gave His Word
Isaiah 11:1-11
The life-giving Spirit of GOD will hover over him, the Spirit that brings wisdom and understanding, The Spirit that gives direction and builds strength, the Spirit that instills knowledge and Fear-of-GOD. – Isaiah 11:2 MSG

I still remember how disappointed I was when I discovered that my father was not perfect. I saw my father as God in my young life, one who never made mistakes. Even though I cannot recall the circumstances, I know that I was shocked and devastated.
However, that did not affect my love for my father. My dad always kept his word. I do not ever recall a time when my dad never followed through on a promise, whether it was a punishment for my bad choices or behavior, or rewards and accolades for good behavior. If my dad said he would do something for his family or a friend, he always followed through.
I must confess, along with many of us, that it is difficult to keep a promise like my father. In fact, our society seems to live on broken promises. Yet, we have God our Father who will never leave or forsake us, for “the life-giving Spirit of God will hover over [us].” That is the Spirit of a Promise-Keeping God.
Prayer: Dear God, help me to keep the promises I make to you and to others. May I learn to follow through. In Jesus name, Amen.
Thought for the Day
Where is God calling me to make and keep a promise today?
Prayer Focus: People who break promises

No comments: