Tuesday, December 23, 2008

First Sunday After Christmas Devotional December 28, 2008

Connected Each Day
John 15:1-17
[Jesus said]"I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing. — John 15:5 The Message

This may be the case for you – the Year 2007 moved by so quickly. I just got comfortable with writing the date, celebrating the birthdays and anniversaries of the year, and another year is two days away. The first day of the New Year is around the corner.

Yet, is not each day the beginning of a new year? It was once said, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life, and today may be the last day of your life.” Yes, each day is the beginning of a new year for each of us.

This was true for my dear mother. Even when life was hard and waning, especially in her last few months, she would always approach each day as the first day of the rest of her life. She lived by the psalmist’s words, “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).

My mother took on each day by connecting to Jesus, The Vine. She knew to nurture her relationship with the Vine to remain spiritually healthy, bearing fruit, regardless of the weather of life.

What an example to follow.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, you are the vine of my life. This being the first day of the rest of my life, may I begin it with remaining connected with you. Amen..

Thought for the Day
What spiritual discipline does God call me to practice to stay connected beginning in my New Year?

Prayer Focus: People developing spiritual disciplines.

No comments: