Monday, December 8, 2008

Devotional for Third Sunday of Advent, December 14th

He Dwells Among Us
John 1:1-5, 14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. – John 1:14 NIV


I will always remember the day my eighty-nine year old father, suffering from vascular dementia, came to visit my family and me for the last time before he died. He was a retired private pilot and RVer who traveled all over the United States. When he arrived at the DFW International Airport this last time, he had no inclination where he was; a location he frequented many times past.

The whole stay was difficult for him. His once familiar surroundings were now strange to him. Only after one hour or so being awake, did he recognize his wife, my wife or me. Dementia is so devastating for all.

During that stay, I drove my father and mother to the church I served to give them the opportunity to see the baby grand piano they donated in memory of my sister. Dad, in a rare lucid moment stood over mother’s shoulder as she played Jesus Loves Me. He sang along with her with tears on his cheeks, declaring that day, Jesus dwells among us! Emmanuel!

Prayer: Emmanuel, no matter what my state of mind, I know You are with me. Amen.

Thought for the Day
How can I help someone see and feel the presence of Emmanuel?

Prayer Focus: People suffering with dementia

No comments: