Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Just Walk Across the Room

Christ-followers who walk:

As I ventured through the first few days after sharing with you our journey from Bill Hybels' Just Walk Across the Room, I discovered many folks that God place along my path in my Zone of the Unknown, that is, outside my Circle of Comfort. During these times I had a heightened sensitivity to the prompting of the Holy Spirit asking me to be natural in my reaching out...that is, befriending folks, and meeting them where they are.

I wish I could tell you that I ventured into the Zone of the Unknown each of those times. Lord forgive me, when I disregarded your whisper and made excuses.

However, I hope you would agree, isn't it amazing when we tune in to the Holy Spirit and hear the whisper promptings? Isn't it amazing how God uses these simple communications to reach out beyond our Circle of Comfort, to those hurting, lost, in chaos, depressed, have no meaning in life, and for some, very far from the God who loves them?

Some of you may have said to yourself, "I am not worthy to reachout to someone in that Zone of the Unknown." You are right, not one of us is worthy, but rather, it is through the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ we are able to reachout; I am reminded that those who reached out to me weren't worthy either.

Some of you may have said, "People who stand outside my Circle of Comfort (Sunday School class, or new visitor in worship, a co-worker, etc.) don't want me to talk to them, or reachout to them; they want to be anonymous." Maybe this seems correct in your mind, but didn't someone reach out to you and you were thankful he or she did? Especially when you visit another church for worship, don't you feel rejected when no one steps out of their Circle of Comfort and welcome you?

Just a thought for you and for me. Jesus took the walk toward us in the form of someone else...thank you, Jesus...we are called to do the same, one step at a time.

By the way, did you mail your "God Used You to Help Point the Way" postcard to thank the one who walked toward you and helped point you to faith in Jesus Christ? I hope so...it's not too late.

Walking together in Christ's walk,

Pastor Jack

No comments: