Tuesday, January 23, 2007

it's about time

"It's about time" is a phrase that many of us use or hear each day of our lives. I believe that right now, when you see this blog, some of you might say, "It's about time, Jack. Blogs are for regular entries of thoughts for the day or week." Yes, it's about time that I write in this blog and I'll try to be more "regular" with entries in the future.

Yet, this phrase, "it's about time," is one that we mull over time and again. Think with me on this:

It's about time...
  • you put gas in the car
  • you got your car inspection updated
  • you completed that report
  • you made that important phone call
  • you cleaned up you room
  • you washed the dishes
  • you got home from work
  • you got home from the church meeting
  • you began to eat more nutritiously
  • you started to exercise
  • you spent time in God's word
  • you spent time each day in prayer and meditation

and on and on.

The interesting thing that strikes me today, that no matter what we do, we will always be able to say to others or to our selves, "It's about time."

I believe God feels the same way, but God conveys this phrase's feeling in a different manner. God conveys the phrase not in a judgmental way, but rather in a gracious way. This is how I hear God say, "It's about time:"

"Jack, I am so glad that you are spending time with me, spending time reading My Word, communicating with me in prayer and meditation. I have longed for this time to hear you, and in spite of your absence, I have not been absent from you. Please remember I always love you."

Yes, Lord, it's about time, I've spent time with you. Thank you for your time and patience with me and for giving me your grace. Please be as gracious with each of us today, especially those who have not spent time with you.

Grace and peace,

Pastor Jack

P.S. I began re-reading the Book of Proverbs again in my devotion time--a devotional process I learned when I first became a Christian. There are 31 chapters in Proverbs, one for each day of the month, and I read one chapter for each corresponding date of the month. If the month has 30 days or less, then I read the remaining chapters on the last day of the month, i.e., 30th day I read chapters 30 & 31. I encourage you to do the same and receive the richness of God's instruction for abundant living in God's grace. Furthermore, I read Proverbs for the first time in Peterson's paraphrase, The Message. Peterson's words are very powerful. Proverbs 23 touch my heart this morning, this Proverb touches you, also. Yes, it's about time.

No comments: