Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Waiting and Trusting

I have been thinking about my daughter Meri. Meri is in the window to give birth to her second child, our sixth grandchild, and second grandson. She is well on the way. Marlane and I sit patiently waiting for “the” phone call. Okay, I sit and wait but not patiently. Every time my phone vibrates, rings, chimes (for a text or voicemail), I immediately check the caller ID. When I see it say “Meri Arthur,” the adrenaline flows, heart rate increases, and I scramble to see what the message or word is from the expectant daughter. In fact, my heart is racing right now!

I cannot wait for that moment when we head to Las Colinas Medical Center with the family…two grandfathers and grandmothers, along with aunts and uncles, to see the birth of a baby boy. Even my daughter, Meri, is ready but reminds me again and again…”We don’t have control, Dad.”

I is comforting that no matter how much we believe we are in control, or even think we are, events such as a birth of a child reminds us who is in control. Let me clarify, even with planned procedures for moms to have babies (inducing labor, c-sections, etc.) we do not know the exact time of a birth till the baby takes his or her breath. So then, let’s face it, being in control is one thing that many of us want or practice.

However, in times like these, it is comforting to know that God is in control. It is comforting to know that no matter what, God is in control. God calls us to trust Him in all things; easier said than done. Yet, may we remember Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.”

It will be great when our grandson, Frank IV, Li’l Tankie, arrives, but in the mean time, I will trust. In the mean time your life, I hope you will trust.

Grace and peace,

Jack

No comments: