Saturday, February 17, 2007

for me and for you

My fellow walk across the room journiers:

As I recall mentioning several weeks ago, I read one Proverb chapter per day for that associated day's date. Well, reading Chapters 15-17 challenged me. These chapters were a wonderful plumbline, measuring tool, and instrument of correction and encouragement. There was almost a sense of getting back to the basics of faith in action.

However, I confess, I fell into a trap while reading several of the verses. In my mind I began to comment or judge the verses. You may have done something similar as this: "This verse applies to me, but this next verse or phrase applies to (name or group)," and you fill in the blank.

For instance, look at Proverb 15:1-5 from Peterson's paraphrase The Message, and see if you don't have the propensity for the same:

1 A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire.
2 Knowledge flows like spring water from the wise; fools are leaky faucets, dripping nonsense. 3 God doesn't miss a thing—he's alert to good and evil alike.
4 Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim.
5 Moral dropouts won't listen to their elders; welcoming correction is a mark of good sense.

Yes, this is terribly wrong. If scripture is for transformation of the reader, then scripture is to judge, challenge, convict, encourage, uplift, etc., the reader. When we read scripture it is not to build a case against another, but to primarily build a case of correction and encouragement for self.

Lord God, forgive us for those times when we read your transforming Word and see how it can transform others, rather than transform our own heart, mind, and soul. Fill us with your grace-filled Word today, being transformed as you deem necessary. In the transforming name of Christ. Amen.

Grace and peace in the journey,

Pastor Jack

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Keep writing ... I'll keep reading.